A BOARDER'S SUNDAY

Updated 24 May,2007


Morning Assembly included Prayers and Hymn singing but, as Kevin Cheeseright mentions below, "appearances were everything". It may be pertinent that under the heading "Religion" on the "Casualty Form - Active Service Army Form B.103 8, a line is drawn through the response suggesting that Charlie declined to attribute himself to any particular club.

By Kevin Cheeseright:

Charlie Cass really hated Church but appearances were everything. At St. Mark's, C of E, in Leeds Rd, the two back rows on the left hand side (the Brides side) were reserved for Norwood. Once in the pew, Charlie promptly feel asleep. It was the most boring one hour of the day.

Before setting off to St Mark's, the nominated Prefect had to inspect the troops as they lined up inside at the Boys' Entrance, Tewitt Well Avenue. In fact, we spent most of our lives lining up in the well outside the Boys' Entrance, the Prefects hovering on the stairs barking their orders trying to keep everyone quiet and in line. Shoes had to be shiny and we should all be wearing our best blazers.

When it rained, Charlie inspected the soles to make sure our shoes were in good repair; any holes in the soles and Church would be cancelled - I am not sure if this was a punishment or not.

The St Mark's Church web sites says:
St Mark’s Church began in 1893 with services in the “Mission Room” - a small room built as an Infant School in Mount Street in the Oatlands District of Harrogate. As the congregation grew, the need for a larger building was met by the erection of a Church on Leeds Road, designed by J Oldrid Scott FSA of London, son of Sir George Gilbert Scott. The design is thought to have been based on the main features of Fountains Abbey, in particular a high roof, long processional nave, tall slender pillars, pointed arches and a great east window. The building was opened by the Bishop of Ripon on 21 July 1899. The chancel was added later and the completed building was consecrated in July 1905. A large Parochial Hall on the Leeds Road, 200 yards south of the Church was opened in 1929.
Some of Norwood's Gilbert & Sullivan operas were performed in the St Mark's Parochial Hall which closed in 1992 and then the site redeveloped a flats.


8. source: Casualty Form - Active Service Army Form B.103


If you have arrived at this page via a Search Engine and it does not display a menu
at the left hand side of your screen, press Norwood College to go to the web site.