LOCATION OF NORWOOD COLLEGE

Updated 20 NOvember,2018




A late-1800s map clearly show the apartments of Royal Terrace with, on the opposite side of the road (top-left on the map) , an empty plot for the future nos.1, 3 and 5 Leeds Road. Whether all the roads were actually in situ at that time or whether they were on the map simply for planning purposes is not indicated.

Interestingly, there are no houses further along Leeds Rd except for a Lodge at the start of South Drive (and on the site of the last of the short parade of shops now there). The parade of shops at Oatlands is already present though in the form of the original houses between Mount St and the crossing at Leadhall Lane and Hookstone Rd.

On the drawing Oatlands Mount (a short distance south along Leeds Rd) the location of what is now (in 2019) a Sainsburys Local (but was The Mile Post pub) is still shown as a vacant plot. On the First Edition of the Ordnance Survey, the location of that pub is titled, Travellers' Inn. Also, on that Ordnance Survey is the railway tunnel under Langcliffe Ave though the line continues on that map into the centre of Harrogate. However, the original line terminating at the Brunswick Station is shown as being on the surface immediately after it crosses the location of Leeds Rd; the creation of a tunnel behind Royal Crescent must have occurred afterwards. All of the area of Norwood College, Royal Crescent etc is shown as completely devoid of houses.

As one may expect, development of Harrogate spread out from the centre. Along Leeds Road, from the Prince of Wales Hotel, on the west side up to and including Royal Crescent, the development took place between 1851 and 1880. Thus, at that time, the area to the immediate south of the Stray, where Norwood and Clifton schools were to be, and all the way down Leeds Road, was open land. Further south along Leeds Road, the next development took place at Oatlands Mount (that had been called Brickfields), between 1881 and 1891. This meant that Oatlands Mount was separated from the edge of the 1851 - 1880 area of Royal Crescent.

It was not until the next two decades, from 1891 to 1909 13, that the land from The Stray to Wheatlands Road, was developed. This means that Stray Road (Clifton) and Tewit Well Avenue (Norwood) would have been built at some time in that period. The style of the houses clearly confirm this. A developer by the name of Alderman Isaac Pickard built the Tewit Well Estate - Stray Road, Tewit Well Avenue, Alderson Road and South Drive and many houses, built of millstone grit, have the date in the stonework on the facade; a walk along these roads on foot on viewed with Google StreetView will shows some of these. Number 9 Alderson Road has a distinct resemblance to the castellations of Clifton House School and directly opposite (no.12?) is an almost identical house. Number 4, dated 1901, has the identical flat-roof design of Clifton. Then, just round the corner, 33 Tewit Well Road has the same castellation style.

THe 1901 Census, District 7, covered this area. Alderson Road appears to be in the process od being built as several houses show "building" (in process). Only onne house, and stables, is shown in Stray road and this is occupied by Mr & Mrs richard Murray, a Director of "Public Companies"; a Housekeeper/Companion and six others are employed. Clifton House School was relocated from Queen Parade to Stray Road in 1906 so, presumably, the houses in Stray Road were to be completed between 1901 and 1906.

The buildings which became Norwood would be built in number 1125 of 3.454 acres and Clifton probably just in 1142 of 2.476 acres (not that either school occupied the whole section, of course). For a larger image press here.

This postcard is entitled, "Walkroyd School, Straydene, Harrogate"; it is a view of no.1 Leeds Road taken from the Stray with Leeds Road on the right of the picture. The rear of Norwood College is on the right.

There is no reference to Walkroyd School on the Internet - indeed the name 'Walkroyd' does not appear.













The above map is not dated, and despite the poor quality of this image, shows the buildings of Norwood College and Clifton House School, together with norwood's Playing Field, by name. It would be very interesting to see the names of the other buildings included on this map.

The east side of Leeds Road, including Norwood and Clifton, is in the Wederburn Ward; the west side, incuding Royal Crescent, is in the Harlow Ward. 13









This plan, probably of the late 1960s shows a proposal to put an electical sub station at the rear of Norwood College.

Items to note:

pro is the site for the proposed substation

FS is the Norwood
flag staff in the Playground:

Leeds Road house numbers are shown
as 1, 3 and 5:

the building to the rear of no.1 Leeds Road is "Elm Park"
with "Elm Park and Elm Park Cottage" on Stray Road



The Google Earth web site can be used to ascertain the height above mean sea level and the location in which Norwood stood is shown as being 131 metres above sea level. (That is 430 feet to most of us!) How Charlie would have loved Google Earth - he would have been tracing all the railway lines day and night!

A very good satellite view of the former sites of Clifton, Norwood and its Playground is on the Flash Earth web site. Clifton is the large grey-roofed building in Stray Rd and Norwood the two white-roofed blocks of flats.


SOURCE OF MATERIAL

13. source: An Atlas of Harrogate


If you have arrived at this page via a Search Engine and it does not display a menu
at the left hand side of your screen, press Norwood College to go to the web site.

The content of this web site is the property of Anthony Eden                Site Index

LOCATION.HTM